View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A change! 

Post A change!
Welll... I am now a chestnut brunette! After being blonde my entire life, as one could imagine, it was quite shocking seeing my reflection at first. It is still strange... But I like it! I will have to update my photo some time.

Has anybody else undergone any changes of late?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:34 am
Founder

Post Re: A change!
Wow Debby that is a huge change! I cannot wait to see the updated pic :-) If I may ask, what drove to make the decision to go brunette?

As for personal changes I have had so very many in all sorts of odd ways over the past 20 years that I never know what to expect. I stay focused on my core self, which I keep private to all but a couple of very close friends and the heck with the rest of iot. I can handle anything at this point. So I guess the changes will keep comin'.

@lanodecaf on IG
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

George Carlin

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

I guess the fact that I am looking for work and feel the heat more these days were encouraging... My hair was white as a small child but as an adult was naturally more a mousey blonde so I used to use highlights. But when you do it yourself, trying to keep the brassiness out was a real pain, and I don't think it looked particularly professional (especially with the Clan of the Cave Girl straggles). And I feel the heat more these days and long straggles are an effort to put up.

I actually started with brunette and red foils just on top, and everybody loved it so I decided to bite the bullet and just go dark (for me). I had to do my eyebrows too, because they looked to light for my hair! :lol: Then I had a few inches lopped off the bottom. I may put blonde foils in in about a month - will let it all settle first... But if I ever go totally light blonde again it will be when I can afford to have it professionally lightened because I think salon blondes are so much kinder to your hair. But I am liking the darker colours for now. And five minutes with a straightener and a claw hair grabby thingy and I have tidy work hair.

The strangest thing is feeling like I don't know how to act... I know it sounds rediculous, but being blonde comes with a certain stigma. It is a role that society expects of you, and even though I fought against it at first, over the years I learned to accept it and even embrace it. I don't know how to be a brunette. I know this sounds strange, and I know I am the same person, but I feel a little lost... Like when you join a group or move town and you haven't yet found quite where you fit in. I don't know where my brunette self fits. What an interesting experience, and I am sure I will consequently learn a lot about myself.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 am

Debbie I change my hair color as well..lol...it is dark reddish brown :lol: . If I ever take a good pic it will get on the site.I have quite my job at the nursing home after 3 years.I couldn't handle all the back stabbing and resident apathy ,energy stealing and chaos.My health was getting really bad there.Now I am working one on with the sweetest old man and am spooling him rotten.I took a pay cut and lost my insurance but am happier.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 am
Profile YIM

Lost Darkkin, Our hair sounds to be a similar colour... And sounds like your new job is very special indeed. I can feel you smiling!

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Debbie ,yes I am smiling ;) . My hair alway's lighten's up and the blonde comes back no matter what I do..GRRR :evil: .Just think no more stupid blonde jokes. 8-)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 am
Profile YIM
Founder

Debby wrote:
The strangest thing is feeling like I don't know how to act... I know it sounds rediculous, but being blonde comes with a certain stigma. It is a role that society expects of you, and even though I fought against it at first, over the years I learned to accept it and even embrace it. I don't know how to be a brunette. I know this sounds strange, and I know I am the same person, but I feel a little lost... Like when you join a group or move town and you haven't yet found quite where you fit in. I don't know where my brunette self fits. What an interesting experience, and I am sure I will consequently learn a lot about myself.

I can relate on this one. I am now in my mid 50's and it is something to which I have really never adjusted. This past year, I am starting to look my age. My hair has grayed, and I have started to get the old lady wrinkles around the face. Mentally I have not really changed since my 30's. But now I am being treated differently and feel the societal pressure to "behave and act my age". Only I am not really sure what that means to me. I am not your matronly grandmother type that many my age seem to be and accept as a role. I have a young wild-child son & still occasionally do something insanely stupid that risks life & limb. (I figure if I am not not ending up in the emergency room every couple of years, I am not using the tools to the max.) At 55 I am still not sure how this old lady thing is supposed to work for me. When I am out I kind of watch & observe other older women, to see how I am "supposed" to act. But somehow that type of behavior does not work for me. Heck I have even tried finding others that are similar to me, but reality is I am a bit of an anomaly and I am not sure I will ever figure this one out. Blah.

@lanodecaf on IG
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

George Carlin

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

LA. im never acting my age.,my inner child refuses the old grandma ways... at 53 my body just sighs and tries to keep up with the teen inside.I have many young friends and they laugh at me and say I wish you were my grandma! 8-) I have been told to act my age more than once and I say which one?? ;) .We make our lives and live them the way we want and life is fun and never boring :twisted: .I refuse to end up in a nursing home waiting to die .I will meet the grim reaper head on and enjoy every minute of it,besides I realy don't think we ever could fit into the old granny mold do you?? :lol:

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am
Profile YIM

Isn't it amazing though... People really do judge and treat us differently or have different expectations of us because of the way we look. And it seems to affect all of us - even those of us who are quite self-aware... People aren't comfortable unless everyone is slotted into an appropriate hole... Blondes are silly, grey hair ladies should be sweet and motherly... Goodness!

Lost Darkkin, I can relate as one of my personalities is 3yo... :D

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Debbie a 3 year old 8-) ,what fun! I think I have one of them somewhere as well.To see with the eyes of a child is wonderful no bias or slots to fit into ,just fun and wide eyed wonderment of all things to come.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next